Friday 10 June 2016

Colossal Slug

Snails and Slugs have been keeping me busy and I would dare to say that this is the year of the Gastropods.

So about 1 month ago I got a commission from Otherworld miniatures that was just about the type of thing I do love to sculpt. The Colossal Slug!
Currently Otherworld has one huge slug on their range but they wanted something a bit more modern and fantasy like detailed to replace it.

My commission was quite simple, create a HUGE memorable fantastic Slug to replace the old one.

This is what I came up with.


















The underside also has textured skin



Some more details close ups.





The kit will have 3 pieces consisting on main body and 2 pairs of eyes.



So how big is this Slug? Its Colossal!





This Slug is quite the centerpiece for any adventure and was a nice piece to sculpt but is this the end for the Slugs and Snails in therms of projects? Quite the contrary, hang in there because during this weekend I will post concept art of what I intend to sculpt. Plenty of more Mollusca coming soon...



8 comments:

  1. Amazing! A profoundly detailed sculpt. And it looks like you did your research too, it's very zoologically authentic!

    It actually reminds me of (and I wish I was making this up) the giant nocturnal slugs of Newfoundland, which I encountered on our camping honeymoon there. This model is about their actual size, although they are more slender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison! I did quite some research into the world of slugs just to make sure that the textures even if more fantasy like did capture the realism of the creature. I think it makes it more believable in the end. One thing that I found on my research was the retracted slug pose that I was unaware of, its quite bunker looking.

      I will continue to explore the Slugs but next time they will have more radical " mutations".

      Delete
    2. Oh, it's all great. The textures, the shape and placement of the mantle and pneumostome and the stretching eyestalks are all so perfect. I look forward to seeing the mutated versions too :D

      Delete
    3. The next mutated variants will be sculpted on medium sized slugs. This one with the colossal size should be an one off.

      Delete
  2. He's a big'un. Great texture on the skin and a great looking "miniature" overall. Look forward to further gastropod-goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Finch. Will post the concept art for the next ones in a few hours.

      Delete
  3. This guy is awesomely menacing. I particularly like the toothy mouth bits. Excellent work!!! Hopefully I can trade with Richard for this big fella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy that you liked it. The marked all of a sudden got invaded with snails and slugs.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.